Time Poverty Drives Online Behavior Changes
By Holly Zoba Senior VP of Sales - Hospitality, Signature Worldwide | November 25, 2012
Pressure to get more done in less time is changing the way we do everything – including how we use media. A recent study shares some changes in consumer behaviors regarding our use of four primary screens – television, PC, smartphone and tablets. The results of this research may impact your digital marketing plans for 2013. Do you need to invest in a separate mobile and tablet site or should they be the same? What do people do differently on a smartphone than they do on a PC and why? We will explore what some of the statistics reveal and how that could impact your allocation of digital resources.
Necessity used to be the mother of invention but now I think it is time poverty. Organizations are flatter, people have more to do with less resources and no one seems to have a lot of free time. As a result, we are becoming master multi-taskers – at least we think we are. This is not new information. It is a trend we have been seeing for several years, but what is newly emerging is more information on the role that digital and social media are playing in our hectic lives.
Within the context of your digital marketing strategy, the changing consumer behaviors due to the need to be more efficient and get more done with less time, should have some impact on your 2013 planning and resource allocations. For the past year, the most popular digital marketing conference topics have been mobile or SoLoMo (the convergence of social, local and mobile) and the agenda topics at least for the next few months will likely center around the three – or four screens concept.
In mid August of 2012, Google, along with Sterling Brands and Ipsos, conducted a comprehensive study regarding our multi-screen habits. The findings are interesting, and I will share some of them here, but probably more interesting for time-impoverished hoteliers is how this should impact your online presence in the coming months or year. In other words, if you are too busy to read this entire article, skip to the last few paragraphs to find out some of the 2013 To-do recommendations.
According to this research, 90 percent of our media interactions on a daily basis are screen based – TV, laptop, smartphone or tablet. Radio, newspaper and magazines make up the remaining 10 percent. On average, we spend about 4.4 hours in front of one screen or another. What is interesting is how much time we spend on two devices at the same time. Seventy-seven percent of the time we spend in front of a television, we are also looking at a second screen – usually a smartphone (49 percent of the time), sometimes it is a laptop. Seventy-five percent of the time we are on a tablet, we are also on a second device – 44 percent of the time, it is a TV. Only 57 percent of the time we are on our smartphone screen, are we also in front of a second screen – probably because we are also driving! (Not part of the report, just my guess). We no longer seem to have the attention span to do one thing at a time.
The second interesting component to this study is that not only are we simultaneous multi-screeners, we are also sequential multi-screeners, meaning we may start to plan a trip on our tablet, but then we jump over to our laptop or sometimes smartphone to continue the same task. In addition, we see something on TV and later we research it on our smartphone. We do not do this on a sporadic basis; we do it multiple times every single day.